Photo Credit: Peter Kirk Photography
Discover the incredible beauty of the Whale of Trail Ultra route in a 1-day spectacular Trail running event on a 2 night / 3 day trip to De Hoop Nature Reserve, located close Cape Agulhas, South Africa.
A breathtaking challenge for trail runners capable of 53 Km with 1900m elevation and a 35 km trail run, spectacular mountain fynbos, technical rocky ridge lines, sandy beaches and mind-blowing vistas in one day!
Hotels & Airbnb options in Cape Town – Select & Book
Your program commences on 24 July 2020 from Cape Town International Airport (or City Center) where you will be met and transferred to the Race Village in De Hoop Nature Reserve.
Highlights of the trip:
- Discover and explore breath-taking landscape and beaches while you navigate the Whale of Trail Ultra route in De Hoop Nature Reserve
- A challenging bucket list experience
- Make new friends and get tips from great athletes Graham Bird and Tatum Prins, the race organisers
THE TOUR PACKAGE INCLUSIONS & EXCLUSIONS AT A GLANCE:
What’s included in your package?
- Guaranteed Whale of Trail Entry & all inclusions as stated
- Airport transfers to/from Cape Town to the Race Village on arrival and departure
- 2 Nights Luxury tented Accommodation “Glamping” at the Race Village
- 2 Nigths Overnight in Cape Town city 4* Hotel
- Flights to/from Cape Town International Airport
- Your personal travel/sports insurance
- Gratuity for porters, guides, drivers
- All drinks / beverages
- All items not mentioned as included above will be for your own account
Race Venue: De Hoop Collection on De Hoop Nature Reserve
Runners must be self-sufficient for the day. No seconding allowed. Runners must be fit and should have run a marathon or at least a 30km trail (as opposed to a dirt road run) run recently. Runners must stick to the marked trail. No short cuts are allowed. There will be checkpoints and a sweeper.
Distance: The route will follow the well-established Cape Nature 5-day hiking Whale Trail and is 53 Km with approximately 1900m ascent. The route will be marked only where necessary. Deviations from the established hiking trail will not be allowed and it is always mandatory to stay on the paths.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE WHALE TRAIL IS CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC unless booked on the hiking trail. No route scouting or pre-running is allowed. Any runners found on the trail illegally will be banned for all future events.
GRADE / ROUTE
The route is challenging and technical following the iconic Whale Trail and is 53km long with approximately 1900m of ascent. The route will be marked only where necessary.
RACE PRE-ENTRY OPEN & CLOSE DATES
Entries are now open
Entry Fee: R3,900 per runner
- Permit and unique opportunity to run this trail
- CapeNature fee for De Hoop Reserve and the trail
- Paramedic support with 4×4 vehicles (excludes helicopter evacuation, or any hospitalization transport, which will be at the athlete’s cost)
- Tog bag
- Transfers to and from race venue to start and finish points
- Water tables with food on the route
- Friday night briefing dinner
- Saturday night prize giving dinner
- Meal at finish
- Complimentary leg massage at finish
- Finisher’s medal
Entry fee does not include:
- Drinks at dinners
- Personal race nutrition.
COMPULSORY RUNNING EQUIPMENT
- Water containers min 2 litres
- WATERPROOF rain jacket
- Base layer
- Buff or head gear
- Space blanket
- Cell phone – emergency numbers will be supplied at race briefing.
- Recommended Equipment – Sunglasses, Sun block, Camera.
Missing compulsory equipment means no run. There will be kit checks and penalties will apply for missing equipment during the run.
RACE START & FINISH
The race is held on Saturday 3rd August 2019 and will start at 07h00 at Potberg Nature Reserve and finish at Koppie Alleen, De Hoop Nature Reserve.
There will be cut off times along the way, after which competitors will be pulled off the route and transported to the finish. Times range between 5 – 11 hours.
RACE PACK COLLECTION
Registration will be from 16h00 – 19h00 on Friday 2nd August 2019 at De Hoop Collection, De Hoop Nature Reserve and from 06h00 at the start venue at Potberg for those staying outside the Reserve.
Briefing: Friday 24 July 2020 at 19h00 at De Hoop Collection. Those only registering at Potberg on race morning will be given the essentials briefing then.
RACE TIMING / CHIP
Tog bag and gift items included in race entry are only for those who compete in the event and will not be handed to third party recipients.
Runners must be self sufficient and carry the compulsory equipment required to partake in this event. There will be two water tables along the route.
MEDICAL / FIRST AID STATIONS
There will be emergency services on standby, but participants must under normal circumstances, be fit, healthy and able to complete the event safely without aid. Should the race medic declare any participant unfit to continue, he or she will be forced to withdraw from the event. This is a serious challenge. EACH PARTICIPANT MUST TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR OWN SAFETY.
Male and Female first place winners will receive cash prizes to be announced.
Prize-giving: Saturday 25 July 2020 at 20h00 at De Hoop Collection
The fastest winning times to date are 4:39 for men and 5:37 for the women.